Sunday, July 29, 2012

Not. Happy. With my dog right now.




Back in the 80s, when Pound Puppies got really big, they had these make-your-own kits. My mom made this Pound Puppy for me from one of those kits web I was like 4.

I didn't hang on to a lot of my childhood toys. Just a few special ones that I wanted to pass on to my kids.

Lorelai has only recently been given this one because the pom-pom nose is a choking hazard. Now I trust her not to pull it off a swallow it. Wish I could say the same for my idiot dog.

We took him to a trainer last night for a consultation. The guy said the chewing is basically going to be the hardest thing ever to fix, because he mostly chews in the baby's toys because he can't tell the difference between them and his own. I think that's a lie. Some of the baby's toys he's learned he can't have and he leaves them alone. But others he is convinced are fair game. Mostly he does is when he wants our attention and for whatever reason isn't getting it. (In this case, I was asleep and Kevin was changing Lorelai's diaper or something. We also lose a lot of things when one of us is home alone, giving her a bath or putting her to bed, and there's no one else to run dog interference.)

So, I don't know what to do about that. I DO know that the dog is on thin ice today. (This is two days after he ate part of the ear off my childhood teddy bear, which pissed me off and THAT wasn't made by my mother.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm sorry he got your puppy! I was just thinking the other day that it's going to be hard to keep Penny from getting kid toys because it will be hard for her to tell the difference. Does Torg have a crate? Maybe when you are giving L a bath or can't keep an eye on him, you can stick him in the crate? Also, have you ever heard of the Tug-A-Jug? It's made of bulletproof plastic, so it's practically indestructible, and you can load it with little treats that they have to work at to get out. That might be something that can keep him distracted for a while if you need to do something where you can't keep your eyes on him. We give one to Penny when we are leaving for a long time. Steve is especially mean and puts big chunks of treats that have no hope of getting out of the opening, but she can smell them so she tries to work at it for a long time. The treats we found that work the best in it are the Charlie Bear little training treats. Lots of assvice of course, but also just sharing your frustration that he won't listen. I'm sorry it's hard right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tug-a-jug ordered! He won't eat the Charlie Bear treats but I got some Mini Zukes for it.

    I don't usually put him in his crate for things like baths and diaper changes because he's USUALLY fine. Will follow us upstairs and camp out in the hallway or on my bed with no problem. But I may have to start crating him any time he'll be left alone for more than 5 seconds, because I really can't trust him.

    I want to punch his foster mom for telling the rescue that he had no bad habits. I consider eating EVERYTHING IN SIGHT a bad habit. (I don't think she had little kids, but we've lost a lot of shoes, purses, hats, and items of clothing to him too). It probably wouldn't have deterred us from adopting him, but some warning would have beee nice.

    ReplyDelete